“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”
As we wrap up another year and embark on 2016, what challenges have you faced in your life during this year that you allowed to consume un-necessary time and take away from continued life possibilities. I faced a numerous of challenges this year, I didn’t allow them to bog me down with regrets and become a victim of my circumstances. Instead I dealt with them head on and grabbed the lesson from it and kept it moving quickly as possible. One of the issues with challenges, it can become a set back or be discouraging in some manner if you allow it to control your life.
I am a business owner of a human resources consulting firm of 8 year’s. When I initially started my business I felt inferior to any roadblocks that came my way, until I made costly mistakes that almost closed the doors down of business for good. I had moment’s when I felt going back to a 9-5 may be easier for me than dealing with the challenges I was dealt in my business. I then realized that I will not allow road blocks and obstacles to defeat me and make me feel worthless.
I definitely wasn’t going back to corporate America. Hence you see how easy it was for my mind to go left and take the coward route, instead I started to figure out an action plan that would allow me to keep growing my business and how to deal with challenges quickly and effective as possible which has led me to having a successful business today. If you don’t know how to deal with challenges, you will continue to have a hard time with any aspect of your life.
Everyone faces challenges in their life. Even people that seem like everything comes so easily to them. So how does everyone cope? How to you keep from just giving up and moving to Antigua? We’ll help you change your outlook with a few coping skills and strategies and we’ll walk you through the steps you need to take in order to tackle that challenge like a champ.
1. Don’t overreact- Overreacting to a problem will cause you to make bad decisions. When we are not in control of our emotions, we will make decisions that we will regret later.
2. Accept present moment reality- Accept the way things are and the way people are. You have to understand that not everything is going to be the way you want it to be. If you cannot accept reality you will feel very frustrated with your life. Many people will try to change someone or something that they cannot control, and when it doesn’t work out for them they feel miserable.
3. Don’t blame others- Many people make a habit of blaming others for all their problems. They fail to take full responsibility for the decisions they have made in life. The more you blame others with the challenges you are faced with, the more you will make people dislike you and not want to be around you. The first thing you want to do when faced with a personal challenge is not to start pointing fingers at others.
4. Practice detachment- Make a habit of detaching yourself from any outcome. Detachment means that you are not attached to any given result in life. I remember in the past when I did public speaking and got really nervous. The reason I was fearful of public speaking was because I was too caught up thinking about what the audience was thinking of me. The fact is that there are some people that are not going to like what you say and others who may like what you have to say, therefore your job is to accept the way people are and not get worked up emotionally and mentally over someone not liking you. When you start practicing detachment, many of your fears and insecurities will disappear.
5. Don’t overanalyze- When you think too much about a situation or event that occurred, you will start to judge everything and everyone. When you think too much you will have a very tough time accepting reality and you will think that something is not right. Overanalyzing can also cause you to not take action on your goal, which can make you really frustrated in the long run.
6. Accept “changes’ in your life- You will have to deal with changes in life all the time. Many people don’t like change and they resist it because it gets them outside of their comfort zone. You may be unhappy or happy at certain times; however you have to realize that those two states are not permanent. You have to train your mind to be at peace at all times regardless of the emotional state you experiencing.
7. Don’t compare your lifestyle with others- I know it is really difficult not to compare ourselves with other people, however the more often we do that, the more frustrated we will feel. There will be people that may have accomplished more than you. The key thing to remember is that you create your own story and success in life.
Remember knowledge isn’t power, APPLIED knowledge is power! move forward and apply the knowledge required for you to live a happier life, more importantly a life of peace. Don’t say “when the new year starts I am going to start” START now. There are a few more weeks left in 2015, just enough time for you to change your mindset and change how you deal with life challenges and continue to prosper. Be mindful if doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you.
Until we speak again make it a great day on purpose!
Your life & business coach, Theresa